ON-SALE: 15 FEBRUARY 1978
COVER DATE: 22 FEBRUARY 1978
- Who’s Who in Star Wars
- STAR WARS: On To Alderaan! (10 pages) <<Reprinted from STAR WARS US 2>>
- TALES OF THE GALAXY: Hey Buddy, Can You Lend Me A… PT2 (3 pages) <<Reprinted from UNKNOWN WORLDS OF SCIENCE FICTION 1>>
- TALES OF THE GALAXY: Threads (3 pages) <<Reprinted from UNKNOWN WORLDS OF SCIENCE FICTION 1>>
- ADVERTS: STAR WARS COLLECTORS EDITION MAGAZINE, STAR WARS FILM CLIPS, NEXT ISSUE PREVIEW (Half page), MARVEL UK HOUSE AD (Half page) and THE OFFICIAL STAR WARS FAN CLUB (1 page).
- Competition to win Darth Vader helmet and copies of the soundtrack LP.
- BEHIND THE SCENES article (1 page)
- STAR WARS GLOSSARY: Alderaan to Macrobinoculars (1 page)
- DEATH STAR BATTLEGROUND ‘map’ of the Death Star surface (for use with the freebie space ships in issues 1 & 2)
- Back-page pin up.
WATCH OUT FOR:
- Luke taking control of the situation in the not-quite-on-message cover design.
- Biggs still appearing in the Who’s Who section even through he doesn’t appear in this part of the film.
- A very different looking Death Star interrogation droid.
- No third issue freebie. Most British weeklies gave away goodies with the first three issues to ensure a random purchase became a weekly habit. But Marvel didn’t feel the need. The Death Star surface (intended for use with the models given away with the previous two issues) was just a handy space filler.
- The first UK appearance of Han Solo (or someone purporting to be Solo) in the Next Issue teaser.
- A Page 3 credit for Alloa Printing and Publishing Co. Ltd. of 18-20 Mar Street Alloa. This was - presumably - Marvel UK’s printers of the period. Alloa in Clackmannanshire in the Central Lowlands of Scotland. Alloa P&P was established in December 1966 and is now defunct.
- THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL is once again omitted from the House Ad. That’s three week’s running! I wonder if the advert was being prepared specifically for MWOM and then also running in SWW and no-one noticed the error. SWW was supported by its own House Ad in the other weeklies so its absence from this group ad makes more sense.
- The first part of the glossary. That’s the sort of thing that got us Star Warriors very excited back in ‘78.
MEANWHILE… A LONG TIME AGO:
- ‘IRAC is Missing’. But WONDER WOMAN will save the day! The show’s 30th episode aired across the water on Friday the 17th.
- 2000AD prog. 52 had been on sale since the previous Saturday (11 Feb) with prog. 53 hitting newsagents on the 18th. Thrills of the week: Elvis is back in the building (or moonbase) in ‘Judge Dredd’ and a fun full-page Walter the Wobot 'bluepwint'/ cutaway.
- Star Warriors could also catch the third episode of the DOCTOR WHO six-parter ‘The Invasion of Time’ on the 18th as well.
- Monday 20 February saw the TX of ‘Duel’, the 8th episode of BLAKE’S SEVEN’s first season.
- Behind-the-scenes, the cast spent the week (beginning on Monday 13th) in Acton rehearsing for the studio recording of the 11th episode, ‘Bounty’, ahead of the first studio day the following Monday.