The saga continues… Welcome to the STARLOGGED retrospective of STAR WARS WEEKLY issue 2, published by Marvel UK 40 years ago today.
ON-SALE: 8 February 1978
Cover Date: 15 February 1978
28 pages (colour cover and b&w interiors)
- Full-page pin-up (art)
- Who’s Who in Star Wars
- STAR WARS movie adaptation PT2: Attack of the Tuskan Raiders (10 pages) <<Reprinted from US STAR WARS issue 1)
- TALES OF THE GALAXY: The Forest for the Trees chapter II: Planet of Death (4 pages) <<Reprinted from UNKNOWN WORLDS OF SCIENCE FICTION issue 1>>
- TALES OF THE GALAXY: HEY BUDDY, CAN YOU LEND ME A… PT1 (2 pages) <<Reprinted from UNKNOWN WORLDS OF SCIENCE FICTION issue 1>>
- Advert for Bridgeworth Stamp Co. (½ page)
- Preview of upcoming competitions (½ page)
- HOW TO BUILD YOUR STAR WARS T.I.E FIGHTER free gift instructions (½ page)
- MARVEL UK WEEKLIES house ad for RAMPAGE, SUPER SPIDER-MAN and THE COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR (½ page)
- BEHIND THE SCENES feature on Mark Hamill (2 pages)
- Adverts for the STAR WARS COLLECTORS EDITION magazine (1 page), THE OFFICIAL STAR WARS FAN CLUB (1 page), MICRONAUTS TOYS (colour back cover)
- NEXT ISSUE preview
- DARTH VADER FOTO FEATURE (Yup, that is the ‘correct’ spelling).
WATCH OUT FOR:
- The first original cover created specifically for the UK edition and not used on the American book.
- Darth Vader enjoying a nice cup of coffee.
- The Build Your Own T.I.E FIGHTER cardboard insert.
- THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL once again being omitted from the House Ad for Marvel’s other weeklies. Oops.
- Three strips this issue… albeit one running to only a couple of pages… and continued next week.
MEANWHILE… A LONG TIME AGO:
- Also published by MARVEL UK this week: SUPER SPIDER-MAN issue 262, THE MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL 281, RAMPAGE 18 and THE COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR 21.
- Published by Tharg this week: 2000AD prog 52 (On sale: 11 February. Cover dated: 18 February) with ‘New Thrill COLONY EARTH and a memorable FUTURE SHOCK amongst the usual suspects.
- The seventh episode of BLAKE’S SEVEN, ‘Mission to Destiny’ aired on Monday 13 February. 9.6 million people tuned in. Location filming, at the BBC’s Ealing Film Studios had taken place on Thursday 5 January ‘78 followed by studio recording, in Television Centre’s studio 6 on Wednesday 19 January. Transmission was interrupted for several minutes by a technical breakdown, covered by a presentation slide, music and apologetic voiceover by the continuity announcer. The first time UK viewers saw the episode in an - ahem - uninterrupted form was when it was released on VHS in the early 1990s.
- Meanwhile, TC3 played host to ‘Breakdown’, the show’s tenth episode on Friday 10 and Saturday 11 February. The episode aired less than a month later on Monday 6 March. Rehearsals for episode 11 - ‘Bounty’ started on Monday 13 February.
- Episode two of the DOCTOR WHO’s ‘The Invasion of Time’ aired on Saturday 11 February, watched by 11.4 million viewers.
- WONDER WOMAN’s second season continued stateside with ‘Death in Disguise’ aired on 10 February.
- The first episode of BBC ONE's GRANGE HILL aired on 8 February. Happy 40th!