Friday 22 February 2013

1982: EAGLE ISSUE 2: EAGLE BADGE FREE GIFT (IPC)


I first posted the cover for the second issue of the new EAGLE (3 April 1982) last year as part of my multi-part overview of the photo-story era.  Since then, however, I acquired (as part of the collection I'm posting now) another copy with the free gold (actually plastic) badge still attached.  So here it is!

In my opinion, this was a better freebie than the spinner mounted on the cover of the first issue.  I guess IPC considered that gift a safe bet, having already used a similar gift to launch 2000AD a few years earlier.  Or, maybe, they thought that the hype around the relaunch would ensure plenty of sales but they needed a decent gift to lure punters back for a second week.  

Wear it with pride.  As the cover says.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...