Monday 1 September 2014

1996: THE AMAZING X-MEN Issue 1 (Marvel UK)


Another MARVEL UK (or, I think, by this point technically Panini UK) launch: THE AMAZING X-MEN issue 1 from February 1996.

The reprints were from some of the myriad of US X-branded books of the time alongside GENERATION X (a spin-off who had the privilege of appearing in a not-entiely-faithful-and-rather-lacklustre TV movie which came close to spawning an ongoing weekly series before the project was quietly abandoned).  

This was a reboot of the previous Marvel UK title which had been published to capitalise on the UK showings of the animated series.  

This appeared alongside the early issues of the card-cover/ US-dimensions Collector's Edition which had rather longer longevity.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey
    I curate/compile IDW's Transformers Classics UK books (thanks for the review, BTW), and I wonder whether we could have a chat about an idea I've had. Is there any way we can exchange email addresses?

    I love the site, incidentally. A treasure trove!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello James.

    Pleasure to hear from you.

    I have to say that I think you do the most amazing job with those TRANSFORMERS books… you have set a new benchmark for repackaging old material. When Marvel sticks an old MARVEL AGE article in the back of a trade paperback… it just doesn't measure up.

    I always pick up the new edition on the day of publication and devour your articles (and all the archive bits-and-bobs) to get the inside story of the creative process and how MARVEL UK operated back in the eighties. I can't recommend your books highly enough.

    Your books are one of the main reasons I've done so little about TF here (I was a loyal reader for at least the first 200 issues)… you've already got it covered (and there is a vast online fandom anyway… so nothing really needs recording here for posterity).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. allow me to add my thanks to james for those collected volumes..I recently bought vol 5 of transformers uk and its a real treasure trove of stuff...also a big thank you to slow robot ...it was reading this blog that re-ignited my passion for comics and got me collecting seriously again...thank you both

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...