Monday 16 November 2015

1992: FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES Issue 1

From February 1992: the first issue of FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES, another of the Trident reprint titles dedicated to film franchises pitched at an older readership. This time: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.

I'm not sure why they didn't do the obvious thing and name the comic after the franchise that inspired it, although the title had previously been used for the syndicated US anthology series that had a two season run between 1988 and 1990. I don't think any UK broadcaster ever picked it up (I can't imagine why) but I think a few episodes of the Freddy-fronted series snuck into video rental stores. 

The strips inside look to be a mix of the Innovation stuff coming out of the States at that time (including their adaptation of the sixth movie, FREDDY'S DEAD) and, more surprisingly, content from Marvel's abortive 1989 black & white magazine (which Marvel dropped, despite good sales, after only two issues because management started to get nervous about associating the Marvel brand with the film franchise). 

I picked this issue up secondhand which is why Robert ("V") Englund's alter ego has been slightly defaced. At least I'll know when other people are nicking my scans. 

3 comments:

  1. Sky One definitely showed it in the early 90s. Around the same time Buster got all edgy with "Nightmare On Erm Street".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did this ever get to issue 2? I remember the first but I have a feeling that was it for Freddy's Nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have this one, my daughter went to this years comi con and took this for me to get signed by him, he was very surprised to see it and he even read it, he said this has made his day and my daughter told him i was a massive fan, and cause he was so thrilled he signed it twice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...